No matter what the hair color or texture, everyone wants hair that looks like it has been styled by a professional on an everyday basis. But after years of bleaching, dying, nearly everyday heat-styling and endless hair product testing, your hair has probably had it. Each of our hair strands has three layers. The inner layer, the medulla, is surrounded by the middle layer called the cortex. The outer layer is the cuticle which protects your hair. When this layer gets damaged, your hair becomes dry and brittle and is at risk for further damage and breakage. It may also look dull, frizzy, and difficult to manage. Many experts recommend using natural hair care products to strengthen and nourish hair but choosing the right product starts by finding out if your hair is dry and damaged.
Identifying dry & damaged hair
- Dry hair is due to the lack of natural oils that act as lubricants all along the hair fibre.
- If your hair does not seem to be conditioned no matter what you try, it is a sure sign of damaged cuticles that are unable to seal in moisture.
- Damaged hair breaks easily when pulled and has visible split ends, while dry hair is often accompanied by white flakes of skin and a coarse, rough texture.
- Dry hair needs moisture, while truly damaged hair needs proteins.
Signs of dry & damaged hair
1. It’s tangled
Damaged hair is easily tangled. The raised cuticles create more friction and grab onto other strands more aggressively than sleek, closed cuticles. The lack of moisture on each strand can also add to your knotty situation.
2. It’s dull and dry
Damaged hair often lacks the natural oil and moisture that coat the outside of the cuticle. Without this, hair loses its shine
3. It’s frizzy
The hair is protected by overlapping scales called cuticles which, on normal healthy hair, lie flat against one-another to strengthen the hair and give it a uniform, shiny appearance. When these cuticles are damaged or weakened, the core is exposed and vulnerable to snapping. When hair snaps off or breaks into split ends, the hair looks frizzy and dull.
4. It’s brittle and breaks easily
Brittle hair can feel like straw and break off easily. It’s one of the most difficult symptoms to manage, and it frequently occurs in overly processed hair.
What causes dry & damaged hair?
1. Environmental Factors
The wind can tangle hair around itself and cause the cuticles to scrape off.The sun can not only dry out the hair, leaving it crunchy and prone to breakage, but the UV rays are particularly damaging. Pollution can build up on the hair fibre and cause it to snap.
2. Heated Tools
Applying too much heat when styling is a major factor of dry, dull-looking hair. Using heat on your hair too often can strip the hair of its natural moisture, change its core protein structure, and can even burn it permanently.
3. Chemical Styling
These make the hair appear smooth and healthy immediately after the process, but in time the hair will weaken and the cuticles will no longer lie smoothly over one-another above the hair’s cortex. This results in dryness, breakage, and split ends.
4. Over Colouring
Over-colouring can significantly weaken the hair fiber, which then finds it difficult to retain fresh color due to repeated exposure to ammonia. Every time you lighten your hair, it lifts the fibres’ cuticles so that the new color can penetrate and cover the hair shaft. By repeatedly doing this, the cuticles weaken permanently.
5. Harsh Brushing
Brushing your hair roughly, especially when wet, will tear out the hair, both from the roots and from weak sections along the hair shaft.
6. Over shampooing
When you wash your hair too much, the shampoo starts to strip away the natural oils, known as sebum, from your scalp. The sebum nourishes and protects your cuticles. Hence when it is stripped away, the hair becomes dry and brittle.
Treating dry & damaged hair
When it comes to shampoos and conditioners, opt for natural hair care products that are free of harsh chemicals. Replace your hair products with ones that contain natural ingredients. The best shampoo for dry damaged hair are Sulphate-free and have natural ingredients such as Argan oil to repair and nourish the hair. Here’s a look at the ingredients which you should look out for.
Ingredients to look out for
Keratin is the type of protein that makes up your hair, skin, and nails. It is a protective protein that helps strengthen the hair to prevent it from breakage, heat damage, and frizz and is extremely important for strong and healthy hair.
- Keratin is the major component of the hair and is responsible for strengthening the hair and making it less likely to break.
- The keratin is the major component of the hair and is responsible for protecting the cortex of the hair from any damage. It Protects the hair shaft and traps water for hydration.
- It also repairs the damaged hair by coating and smoothing the hair shafts and helps in keeping them moisturized.
2. Moroccan Argan Oil
Moroccan Argan Oil, popularly known as the ‘liquid gold’, is highly moisturizing and rich in vitamins A & E and essential fatty acids. It provides nutrients for stronger, healthier, and thicker-looking hair.
The following phytonutrients present in the Moroccan Argan Oil benefit the hair by keeping it moisturized and healthy.
- Rich in vitamins A & E, it works wonders to heal, moisturize, repair, and protect the hair.
- The Linoleic acid in Argan oil helps to keep the hair moisturized.
- Rich in tocopherols and antioxidants, it makes the hair strands stronger and protects it from UV damage.
- The essential fatty acids, Omega 3, and vitamin E present in the oil help you tame your frizzy hair and treat split ends, making it an ideal hair conditioner.
The Moms Co. KA+ Damage Control Hair System
Products in the range:
– Natural KA+ Damage Control Shampoo
– Natural KA+ Damage Control Conditioner
– Natural KA+ Damage Control Hair Mask
What does it do?
- Repairs and strengthens weak, damaged, and chemically treated hair to give hair a healthy look.
- Deeply conditions, hydrates, and revives dull and dry hair improving its manageability and elasticity, and giving it a beautiful shine.
- Nourishes hair with essential vitamins and nutrients.
Who needs the KA+ Damage Control Hair System?
If your hair is weak and damaged, you should consider buying hair products enriched with Keratin or if you do any of the below mentioned things on a regular basis-
- Bleach, colour or highlight your hair.
- Chemical relax or perm your hair.
- Style your hair with hot styling tools.
- Brush or comb your hair.
- Swim in water with chlorine or salt.
- Expose your hair to the sun for a few hours per week.
Apart from covering your hair with a hat or a scarf when you move out in day time, it is essential to use a natural hair oil to reduce dryness and deeply nourish the hair. Always follow the shampoo with a conditioner and the best conditioner for dry hair have natural oils such as Moringa and Moroccan Argan oils. Whenever possible, choose natural hair care products to restore the stength, softness and shine to your hair.