Babies have a sensitive scalp and delicate hair. Some are born bald, while some come with a head full of baby hair. While you might not care what your little one has, as a parent, you must have a few questions regarding your baby’s hair care.
It is important to care for your baby’s hair for it to remain healthy and strong. You will notice your baby’s hair change a lot during her first year, so make sure you take good care of it.
We share a few tips that can help you take care of your baby’s hair.
Washing your baby’s hair
The key thing to remember while caring for your baby’s hair is to be very gentle and to avoid applying pressure on the soft spot on your baby’s head. Also, make sure that there are no tangles before washing it.
Follow these steps to clean your baby’s hair:
- One of the main reasons for brittle, thin hair is a sweaty and dirty scalp. So, shampooing your baby’s hair is essential even if they don’t have any hair.
- Over washing your baby’s hair can strip off the natural oils from the scalp and leave the hair dry. So, washing your baby’s hair needn’t be a part of everyday routine. You can wash your baby’s hair twice or thrice a week.
- Some babies don’t like water being poured over their heads. Instead, you can take a washcloth, put a little shampoo over it, wash your baby’s hair with it and rinse gently.
- Dry your baby’s hair as soon as you have finished washing it and dress your little one in warm clothes after their bath.
Combing your baby’s hair
Detangling a baby’s hair plays a major part in keeping it healthy. Generally, infants do not have tangles so they need gentle combing.
- Use a soft-bristled, wide-toothed comb to detangle your baby’s hair. It allows you to do it without hurting the baby.
- If your baby’s hair is messy and tangled, you may want to take her for a hair trim from time to time.
Oiling your baby’s hair
An oil massage of the scalp is good for the health of the scalp, as massaging increases blood circulation to the hair pores. It also helps in getting her to sleep. It also moisturizes the scalp and prevents the formation of dandruff.
How to oil your baby’s hair?
Massage the scalp with slightly warm oil. It increases the effect of oiling as the scalp retains moisture for a long time.
Avoid using oils with chemicals and strong perfumed oils. Most moms prefer to use virgin oils for their baby’s hair. Sesame oil, olive oil, mustard oil, and coconut oil are some of the oils that you can use for your baby’s delicate scalp.
Concern- Cradle Cap
Babies are known for their smooth and soft skin. But, few babies get rough scaly patches on their heads which come out of nowhere. This is cradle cap, and it is nothing to worry about. Cradle cap is the baby version of dandruff in adults. It’s common in babies up to 3 years old but may last up to a year or longer. It is harmless and generally goes away on its own.
But if you want to treat it, here are a few home remedies you can try.
- Brush your baby’s scalp.You can even find special brushes just made for cradle cap. Gently brushing your baby’s head is a good way to remove some flakes off their head. But be careful not to pick or scrape at the flakes.
- Hydrate the scalp. Hydrating the scalp Wirth hair oil will loosen the flakes. It also nourishes the scalp.
- Washing your baby’s hair. Proper hair hygiene can help diminish the appearance of cradle cap and a baby shampoo may be enough to treat cradle cap. Always use a tear-free shampoo for your baby. Use a dandruff shampoo only if the doctor has recommended it.
Choosing the right baby products
A baby’s requirements keep changing as she grows. So it may seem a bit difficult to find the right hair care products since you are also still figuring out what works best for your baby. Always choose natural and toxin-free products for your little one.
When choosing a shampoo, make sure it’s tear-free and hypoallergenic. You can also look out for some natural ingredients in the baby hair care products like aloe vera, Argan oil, avocado oil etc.
The Moms Co. Baby hair care products are 100% toxin-free and enriched with the goodness of nature. They are clinically and dermatologically tested and are completely safe for your little one.
Our Natural baby shampooTry our Natural Baby Shampoo which is a toxin-free combination of Coconut based mild cleansers that clean gently. Organic Moringa & Organic Argan oils help nourish and strengthen your baby’s soft hair.
Our Natural Baby Hair Oil It’s a toxin free combination of 10 powerful oils like Argan, Organic Amla, Bhringraj, Avocado, Marula, Olive oil, Wheat germ oil, Avocado, Coconut and Tea Tree Oil. They nourish, protect, and strengthen your baby’s hair, keeping them soft and silky. It is a natural, clinically tested and mineral-oil free baby hair oil that strengthens hair and promotes growth.