“During my pregnancy, I was totally in love with my hair; It looked luscious and healthy and I received oodles of compliments for my shiny locks.”
Women usually enjoy good hair health during pregnancy. This is because, normally, 90% of our hair grows at a given point in time while the other 10% is resting. After the resting phase, the hair falls off and is replaced by fresh strands of hair. During pregnancy, the majority of the hair is in the resting phase, resulting in a thicker hair quality. However, after pregnancy, the hormone levels normalize, and the hair cycle comes out of the resting phase, leading to hair fall. This is known as ‘Telogen Effluvium’ and usually persists for three to six months following pregnancy.
However, some women also suffer from hair-fall during their pregnancy, the top reasons being:
Pregnant women need to concentrate more on their body’s nutritional requirements. Expectant moms could suffer from hair loss due to the inadequate supply of iron, protein, and vitamins in the body. Too much intake of vitamin-A can also lead to hair fall.
If you are suffering from health issues like gestational diabetes, fungal infections, or depression, you could be susceptible to hair loss during pregnancy. Certain medications, such as that for controlling blood pressure, etc could also trigger hair fall.
As discussed in the above section, hair fall is relatively common in the months following pregnancy. Hair can become dry due to high amounts of progesterone released in pregnancy, which causes the hair strands to become brittle and break away.
Low levels of thyroid hormones, known as hypothyroidism, can lead to hair loss. Hypothyroidism occurs in about two of every 500 expecting women. Caused by Hashimoto’s Disease, an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation of the thyroid gland, it interferes with the gland’s ability to produce hormones. The changing levels disrupt metabolism and subsequently, lead to hair fall. It is important to get your thyroid levels checked, when pregnant.
Hair fall can be quite alarming! First, do not fret over it and follow these simple remedies to minimize hair loss.
Top 5 Tips to Minimize Hair Loss During Pregnancy
Your skin and hair reflect what you eat. You do not need to horde on food to accommodate the nutrition of two. Just eat right. Green veggies, fruits and lots of water is the perfect hair health recipe. Eat foods that contain flavonoids and antioxidants which prevent hair loss and stimulate hair growth.
Stress is a big no-no! It could lead to various other problems, beyond hair fall. It is understood your hormones are undergoing a change. You are also having mood swings, but don’t stress about it. Indulge in anything that helps your relieve your stress and relax. Aromatherapy helps; so does a nice long bath, meditation, sleeping, watching movies – find your guilt-free trip and take it.
Use Natural/Organic Products
The chemicals present in regular shampoos and conditioners can strip the hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry and brittle. Be wary of products, more importantly, the ingredients you are choosing to wash and nourish your hair with. Choose products that are natural and do not include sulphates, paraben, mineral oil, PEGs, phthalates, cocamide DEA and such others. These have the risk of being contaminated with carcinogens, developmental and reproductive toxins. Make sure your shampoo and conditioner are natural, plant based and healthy. Check the labels and try using products that are Natural and toxin-free.
Pick shampoos that are enriched with ingredients like Wheat Protein, Argan Oil and Murumuru Seed Butter and coconut that gently strengthen, clean, and moisturize the hair. I moved to Natural Pregnancy Shampoo and couldn’t stop touching my hair! I saw visible difference in less than three weeks – my hair looked fuller, thicker and much stronger.
Oil Your Hair
Oiling your hair should become a routine. Try and oil your hair, at least two times a week.
Continue this routine even after pregnancy, as the hair is more susceptible to hair fall in that phase. Amla, Bhringraj, Coconut, Argan, Almond, Jojoba, and Olive oils are among the most nourishing.
Go easy on your hair. Using heat or harsh styling serums and equipment for your hair will exacerbate the hair fall further. Use a hair comb with broad bristles to even out the hair tangles. Avoid tight pigtails and buns, and the use of rollers and too many clips on your hair.
Like the other parts of the body, hair also changes during pregnancy. Post delivery, the body takes time to bounce back to its normal self. Be patient and follow the above natural hair care tips to manage and control hair fall better. If you have tips of your own, don’t forget to share it with us 🙂